1/20/2016

Learn about yourself through clothing...

You might be surprised that a lot of women do not possess a full-length mirror at home and if they happen to have one, they hardly check themselves in the mirror before leaving the house. I used to avoid the reflection in the mirror at all costs, as I loathed what I saw, considering my out of shape body a physicality somehow handicapped through ageing. Yes, I had a negative body image which I was fully aware of and it's best not having to think about it, which inadvertently brought about a bout of depression.


My training to become an image consultant has totally changed the way I see myself and my body. I began to examine my body through the lens of clothing. Instead of focusing on the messages in the world of fashion about what women my age can and cannot wear, I reach for the wealth of information that clothing offers to me about my body, its relationship to the clothing I choose to wear. I give myself the permission to experiment with clothes, and I learn what feels good to wear and what feels like a struggle. I learn to consider my specific figure in terms of how it works with and against clothes instead of considering it as it compares to BMI charts or the bodies of supermodels. 


It is a fact that we all have a body as long as we are alive so it only makes sense to make peace with it. It is our decision how we want to dress or look, and learning about its shape and features can help us express some of our essence to the outer world. Shopping is no longer a pain in the butt once you become intimate with your body and hone your personal style. When I began exploring fashion and style through my training, I came to respect my body which is integral to my identity. Only when I start to dress in a way that make me look amazing and feel amazing do I finally stop hating my body. 


The consultations that I run is all about choosing what you love about your figure and want to highlight, as well as about understanding your physical challenges and the aspects you would rather minimise or downplay. The traditional standards of style are the foundation on which individuality is built. As I slowly pick myself up from the treadmill of 'less than' or inadequacy, I stop wasting my precious energy feeding the body image beast. I am now so much more confident in the way I present myself, being in friendly terms with my body which was once an enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment