11/23/2016

Do I really need make up to look good ?




I was in my final year of high school when I became a regular customer of Clinique and started my daily make-up routine and for a few years I couldn’t allow myself being seen sans make-up. I was short-sighted and contact lens were my saviour as I could still look pretty without the glasses. In a nutshell, my make-up kit took its special spot in my handbag until my third year at university.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate make-up per se. As a matter of fact, I decided there and then that I looked great (who doesn’t at that age) anyway without the tedious routine and extra time applying and removing make-up. I was so young, full of energy and being a straight A academic were enough to boost my confidence and I was far too lazy and busy to be bothered painting my face.

And I have never visited another make-up counter ever since. It’s been more or less 20 years now. I wear decent clothes and never leave home without my fragrance (It was Tuscany to start off with followed by Chanel Bleu and Narciso Rodriguez). Instead of spending on make-up, I invest in quality skin care products. I’d rather have beautiful skin than having to put my face on with loads of makeup to look pretty.
 

Experimenting is the key. Expensive and luxurious brands might work or not depending on the ingredients of the products and how they perform on individual skin types. Personally I don’t fare well with commercial labels and after trying a gazillion brands, I find Aesop, Neals Yard Remedies, Nuxe and Lancome work best on my skin. I love the smell of essential oils in my Aesop products, the therapeutical effects from NYR, the face cleansing milk from Nuxe and the eye cream by Lancome. Yes, they are not cheap but affordable for anyone who cares about having beautiful skin in their middle age.

This is my personal upkeep which is worthy of my time and money. I don’t think I am high maintainence as I don’t do manicure / pedicure (as long as you are not in a habit of biting your nails), I would never let myself go under the knife regardless, I do my own facials at home and I am about to quit visiting my hair stylist as soon as I have my head shaved. Colouring / highlighting cost me a fortune even though I only have them twice a year.

Why am I telling you all these? I honestly don’t believe that you need cosmetics to look great. Keep up with your maintenance regime with the right skin care products and you are ready to brave the world with your natural beauty!

Would you now consider ditching your trusted make-up content and focus on your skin instead? Let me know your beauty routine you swear by...more women should be doing the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment