12/21/2016

fashion psychology...this is getting interesting!

There are so many disciplines under 'psychology' and the ones that I find intriguing are colour psychology and fashion  psychology; both of which are indeed part of my image consultancy service packages covering both colour and style for my clients. Being an advocate of sustainable fashion and fully aware of the repercussions on the environment, do you know that the colour and the style we choose to wear also have an effect on our inner psyche?  Do you have a wardrobe full of black? Does wearing yellow make you happy and red sexy? How does fashion in general make you feel? Are you more inclined to buy something made with sustainable practises or do you go for fast fashion?

Image result for fashion psychology images

Have you ever wondered why you are particularly attracted to one colour and not the others?  It would be difficult if not impossible to let go of a particular colour if there is a link to childhood, albeit it is not the most flattering colour for you. This is when a personal stylist comes in with objectivity so that the person could be analysed in a professional manner. I usually start my analysis asking my clients a few questions to get to know them a little bit better before the actual draping process begins. I can't stress enough how important it is to find out a bit more about my clients and their backgrounds before we decide what the best colours and the most flattering and goal-oriented style she is after. 

Image result for fashion psychology images

Now that I have created a capsule wardrobe for myself where only my best items are stored, instead of pre-planning my outfit, I pick what I feel like wearing in the morning and do a quick mix and match and I am ready to go in 10 mins. There are days when I feel like shit, and I usually put on my favourite outfit or something I feel most comfortable in and it sorts of enhance my not too pleasant mood for the rest of the day. Of course, take into consideration what you will be doing during the day. too. Are you going to be sedentary behind your computer, choose comfort over aesthetics. Don your tailored suit pants when you have clients to meet. 

Image result for images of a great capsule wardrobe

I have friends who can't bear seeing me in short spiky hair or whenever I colour it orange (or any bright colours out of the ordinary). Do I really care about what the others are thinking? I always reply to my friends saying something along these lines: what is the point of spending all these money on a hairdo if the result doesn't stand out? It is my style personality to have my sides shaved to the skin and walking out of the salon with a new bold colour that turns heads. Any thing less is just unacceptable! 

Image result for images of a bold hair style


After chatting with a couple of women at a shop recently, we all agreed that we have millions of the same pieces in our closet lurking somewhere. Why do I have 4 tops of similar styles only in different colours? I guess the repetition has something to do with the amount of safety in the items that work and look good on me which I am subconsciously falling back onto and it is a fool proof way to go when you feel overwhelmed by all the options out there. 
Image result for images of a opening wardrobe

My choice of colours and styles have indeed evolved over the years. Learning about my best colour certainly makes my life so much easier and my signature style never really changes when I come to think about it. I don't follow or set trends but I like keeping my look contemporary with accessories. I suppose the changes and my taste / preference at any one stage is a reliable indication of my psychological well being. Try it for a couple of days, without much planning the night before, what do you pick to wear tomorrow morning based on how you feel and I am eager to know!


No comments:

Post a Comment