1/18/2017

Effortlessly stylish

I am sure you have heard about 'minimalism' a gazillion times over especially on blogs; the subject of which is prevalent and in this post, I wish to talk about minimalism particularly in the fashion industry. As we are becoming more aware of the dire condition of our planet, women in particular are opting for simplicity which means fewer clothes and a capsule wardrobe that works. At mid-age, we want forgiving silhouettes for our ageing body and minimalism is the answer to our prayers: a combination of natural, classic thrown in with a bit of drama. We want pieces that are loose and un-constructed, preferably in cotton, linen, silk and cashmere. We want it simple as it translates classic which is timeless. And for those who still want to be visible among the millenniums, we want something a bit edgy / dramatic with exaggerated silhouettes. Neutral colours work best when you know which colour type you are as they are the foundations on which you create outfits. 
Image result for images of minimalism in fashion

Have you heard of Project 333? It is a minimal wardrobe concept started by Courtney back in 2010 when she selected 33 garments to wear for the following 3 months. I am not sure if I want to be restricted to a certain number in my practise in building a capsule wardrobe for myself and my clients, and I have my own system of helping my clients in terms of wardrobe management. However, I do believe in a quiet confidence, an ability to put ordinary pieces together and make them sing. I just love mixing and matching my treasure finds in second hand shops and putting disparate things together for a unique and stylish look.
Related image

I don't have a magic formula as I don't always follow rules but there are a number of things I stick to when it comes to being stylish:

  • As a personal stylist, I know exactly what looks good for my body shape and style, I never buy into trends as I find the process so mind-numbing and unimaginative.
  • At this stage of my life, I am no longer interested in fast fashion but quality garments which last. Sales items no longer pique my interest, no matter how cheap they get.
  • I have a collection of plain white tees and button down shirts which I swear by. They are perfect for layering and versatile enough to be worn in different occasions.
  • I tend to spend more on shoes, bags and jewellery than clothing items (especially once you have your capsule sorted). These are the jewels to complete any outfit and they don't have to be expensive.
  • Visiting op shops and markets is one of my hobbies and I have a knack of finding nice pieces from what others have discarded.
  • Stay with the hairstyle that suits your face shape and avoid chemical at all costs.
  • Go for the skin care brand that works for you and try minimal make-up if at all.
Image result for images of effortlessly stylish
So that's it for now. Any tips to share to be effortlessly stylish?

No comments:

Post a Comment