1/03/2017

Make space for the new year!

It's 1/3/2017 and I am back in my office after a longish sabbatical home alone. Far from being unproductive, I did a year end appraisal and cleaned up my closet to make sure I know what I have got and decided this is the year not to consume anymore than is necessary, but be productive in my waking hours creating, be it my blog post, artwork, outfit coordination, you name it.
Image result for images of productivity



Another year older means I am no longer young. Adapt or die. Yes I do feel overwhelmed by technology and the pace everyone else is going, the information which is so freely available 24/7, and the fact that I am a mess in terms of work and finance. None of these are worthy of mentioning but meanwhile, I enjoy the cliche 'been there, done that.'. I am all the more confident about a lot of things (sometimes to the point of intimidating) and I no longer care about what other humans think. I get to choose what and who I give a shit about and that is total liberation which teenagers don't get to experience as yet. I report to no-one, and being single and childless, I take silent pleasure in the strange intimacy of solitude. 
Related image

Going back to the closet. After much purging and contemplation, I do agree with my friends who told me thousand times over how I look expensive even when utterly broke. I try not to look dowdy by mixing and matching inexpensive items based on my knowledge as a personal stylist, shop at little quirky places (and charity shops) for items which are unique, my colour and my style. It is indeed a kind of therapy when you just need some brain exercises and some kind of indulgence without breaking the bank.
Image result for images of wardrobe culling

So here are some tips for you to update your style to welcome a brand new year:

  1. Be realistic about your body shape. Accentuate your assets and play down on the bits you wish to conceal by wearing garments that graze your body and create some structure.
  2. Be honest with yourself when you shop. Go for items which match with the life you are living and not a life you wish you had.
  3. Do not follow the rules of age appropriateness if they don't make sense to you.
  4. Accept that you don't have the body / figure you once had 20 years ago. Stop wishing for a different body shape / size. Get real!
  5. Black is not the only neutral colour and it could look awful if you are not a winter person.
  6. Take some risks once in a while, as long as you have your basic essentials in your closet.
  7. Stop thinking what others might think of you. They don't. Wear whatever you feel good in and that is all that matters.
  8. Remove items you don't need or love. If in doubt, get a Personal Stylist to do it for you.
  9. Sentimental pieces are just that, physical items which tie to some kind of memories which you don't want to let go of. However, that 'sentimentalism' is already etched in your heart.
  10. Forget about fashion advice when you were little. They are no longer valid and appropriate in 2017!
  11. Do not identify yourself with designer labels just to impress others. There is no meaning whatsoever to find your own personal value through material things which come and g
  12. Trust your instinct when it comes to ditching and preserving. It's your call!
  13. Remember trend is ephemeral, style is forever.
  14. Invest time and money finding your own style and be rewarded with spending less time and money in the long run.
  15. Take care of your garments to prolong their life.
  16. Do not buy something just because it is on sale. 
  17. We were all born with style and it is just a matter of learning about it.
  18. Accessorising is the solution to add personality to your outfits and change your looks in the most economical ways.
  19. Get a personal stylist to come shopping with you so you can learn how to make the most out of your next trip and be happy with your new purchases.
  20. Buying more doesn't necessarily solve the problem of 'having nothing to wear'. Always shop your own closet before parting your money.
Image result for images of clearing your wardrobe

And here are some suggested items you should toss to make space and free your mind:
  • anything that says 'festive' 
  • wire hangers
  • old undergarments / nightie
  • tailored items which are falling into pieces
  • unused cosmetics /nail polish / skin care products (check the expiry dates)
  • anything see-through
  • anything associated to your ex-es
  • family heirlooms which are not your style
  • outdated fashion magazines
  • shoes you don't wear
  • jewellery that is not your style
  • items you save for later( i.e. when I lose that 10 pounds)
And voila, have a brilliant and spacious new year...



No comments:

Post a Comment