2/15/2017

Fashion Value for Money?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Times have certainly changed drastically in the past decades along with technological advancement, and I still remember vividly how my mother used to mend and repair her clothes with a sewing machine and buying something brand new in a boutique was such a luxury at the time. She would only pay a lot for a garment which she occasionally indulged in when it was a good fabric and well made. 
Image result for images of women using sewing machine

Fast forward to 2017 when fast fashion is the norm and 'buying new' becomes more like a hobby or everyday chore. It is no longer about quality and finish but all about brand positioning. The correlation between quality and price is no longer there. A large percentage of what we spend at each transaction goes to the rental of the shop, the advertising and the packaging. Women over 40 don't shop on High Street believing that they are only for the young and that pricier 'labels' and brands tend to have more kudos which in turn give them more confidence. God knows the same item of different pricing often come from the same factories around the globe!
Image result for images of women shopping crazy

Having said that, there is a way out of this quality vs pricing dilemma by way of creating a minimalist wardrobe which seems to be trending these days. You can still aim for quality but own less pieces. Imagine you have shoes you love, a great coat, a stunning dress, a timeless jacket and everything you love is already hanging in your closet, why would you purchase anything less than? Clothing purchases could be lifetime investment as long as you understand yourself (which is why it is worthy to see a personal stylist for a professional colour and style analysis). Similar to alcoholics, those who shop for instant gratification could use a bit of restraint while practising an attitude of quality. Getting a discounted item on sale but which you don't wear is not a bargain after all, is it?
Image result for images of quality garments

Coming from a background of digging for treasures in charity shops and wearing hands me down from my cousin and relatives, I have come to appreciate secondhand clothing as they are and have learned to mix and match unique items since I was little. I am often complimented on my 'expensive looks' which comes down to how I style myself that makes the difference. I will wear a $100 top with a $1500 shoe and sometimes the cost of the accessories I wear to complete the look far exceeds the total value of my outfit combination. Then again, if you have an eye / flair for style (and colour), something inexpensive can look stunning. and that is exactly where my pick and mix ethos come in. 
Image result for images of findings from charity shops

So tell me, are the pieces in your wardrobe worthy of the money you spent mindlessly?

No comments:

Post a Comment