3/01/2017

How NOT to Buy...

I have been particularly conscious of what I 'buy' whenever I go out i.e. not at home or at work as the display of the shopfront is indeed tempting and I need to exercise my discipline a lot when it comes to something new and pretty i.e. new arrivals on racks, and we are talking about Hong Kong where I am based for the time being. I have found that I'd rather spend my money on quality food and grocery and refuse to enter the mall unless it's pouring and I forget my umbrella. I even write up a list and only go food shopping once or twice a week for my staple. In other words, I don't buy for the sake of buying especially when I have a full closet of clothings which are still tagged from my previous impulse shopping sprees. Not so different from watching TV, shopping helps relieve us of the duty to think and to make for ourselves.  Convenience trumps!
Image result for images of window shopping
From being a hardcore shopaholic to a reasonable consumer hasn't been easy and I am still a long way from being a minimalist. I admit being a workaholic and thrive on challenges and being productive around the clock. In between work and home, I used to shop like there was no tomorrow but now I tend to read my paperback, do my crossword puzzles and listen to music of my fav artists, not to mention putting a lot of my mental focus on my start-up business. How can you get bored when you have a full plate; none of which costs you more than a coffee sitting in? On the other hand, shopping actually gets boring when there are so many alternatives and I am yet to explore the following:

  • brushing up my French, making art, learning how to cook for one, and travelling...things I need to do to keep me busy, happy and satisfied. And shopping doesn't fulfill any of my needs.

Image result for images of sitting at a cafe
Having my wardrobe edited on a regular basis helps a lot. I get to oversee, manage and control when I do this religiously. I am not longer attracted to bargains and fast fashion, as I know myself and what I need as opposed to what I want. With my unique kind of lifestyle, I tend to stock up basics like tees, shirts, jeans and pants, quality underwear and lounge / sleep wear. I read up on trends and follow some fashion bloggers but I never copy their styles. What looks great on a mannequin doesn't means it looks the same on me! I can help if you wish to learn how to edit your wardrobe too. It is my job to show you which cuts of clothings work best for your body type, your best colour palette which lights you up, what kinds of fabrics, prints and patterns harmonise with you, etc...so you too can be your own fashion editor!
Image result for images of wardrobe editing
I also teach my clients how to shop without feeling overwhelmed and resenting the process and actually wearing what they purchase feeling beautiful inside out. In fact, successful shopping comes down to a process of elimination. I also suggest a seasonal wardrobe management session when you get a second opinion on what to toss and what to keep, and when you manage to see everything you like hanged in your closet, creating outfit combination is a piece of cake. You will find that more options are available once you learn to eliminate the superfluous while holding to you own standards of personal style. 
Image result for images of successful shopping
Yes my shopping habits have been transformed big time and you can too if you follow a few tips I am happy to share:
  • Know yourself and exactly what you need; be specific with details
  • Open your mind and welcome new brands,; comparing made easy online for new addition
  • Shop in person vs online; your eyes could do some rest
  • Commit to no impulse buying; identify aspirational pieces and settle for anything less than
  • Get a Youiform for your unique body type and be flattered with compliments 24/7
Have fun and good luck!
Image result for images of personal stylist

Rosa is a certified Personal Stylist currently based in Hong Kong. You may contact her via email at wellbeing@netvigator.com and meanwhile check out her website www.style-proud.com!




No comments:

Post a Comment