4/19/2017

Je ne sais quoi! (Part 1)

You might have come across the phrase 'Je ne sais quoi' million times over but do you really know what it means? Yes, it is french and is literally translated as 'I don't know what'. It is a description of a french style which is elusive, charming, natural and imperfect; an antithesis to what the Americans (and the Brits) aspire to in terms of fashion. It is the freedom (think of Coco Chanel who started the striped tops / wide leg culottes for comfort), the honesty, the realness that are being expressed in their styles. I am not french but I do appreciate the mindset of the typical savvy french women, who don't follow the trend / rules but shop with style discretion, who know what they want, who are educated and who know how to dress as an art. Above all, they have the confidence that keeps their styles grounded and desirable, unafraid of getting caught off guard in photos. 


Image result for images of stylish french womenImage result for images of stylish french women

As a Personal Stylist, reading up on the trends and predictions is part of my job but I don't follow (seasonal) trends or try copying a celebrity's style. I suppose it is pretty self explanatory that I am never a follower and never will be. To be quite frank, I don't see how following others could give me a sense of belonging and I'd rather be my authentic self and prefer to develop my own unique style, even if that takes more effort to think independently and critically. Not an easy converter, I don't like to be confined to a particular style, but to celebrate my attributes (both good and bad) and intelligence instead. 

Image result for images of stylish french womenImage result for images of stylish french women

An attractive woman is someone who exudes alluring qualities and age has absolutely nothing to do with it. I don't really care what others think when it comes to my way of dressing and maybe that's one of the reasons why I seem to be so confident in the way I carry myself. Now that I am almost 50, I don't rely solely on my appearance for confidence as I did in my 20's but embracing the wisdom and personal power gained and accumulated over the decades.

Image result for images of books by ines de la fressange

Based in Hong Kong with such a heavy American influence in all facets of life, it is not easy to find inspiration in terms of french fashion but resources are aplenty if you care to look. I have a couple of books by Ines de la Fressange which I highly recommend. A session of window shopping at Uniqlo could point you in the right direction as the two have been working in collaboration for years, bringing to Hong Kong a piece of modern parisienne way of living. 

Image result for images of ines de la fressangeImage result for images of Parisian Chic look book

Image result for images of books by ines de la fressange
















So how do you dress like a Parisian? Here are some tips to get you started.

  • a plain white shirt + any seasonal trend elements
  • a knit top + statement accessories
  • a LBD that shows off your assets and follows your body shape
  • pair something budget / basic with something more upmarket (to dress up / down)
  • mix and match using what you already have in your wardrobe
  • Follow the mantra:  
  1. Don't try too hard.
  2. Don't follow the trend.
  3. Show off your assets.
Watch out for the next blog for more style tips to be Parisian Chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment