6/08/2017

Women over 40 are NOT forgotten!!!

I have never been a gossip magazine reader and I don't really care about what's going on in the life of the celebrities but there are a few whose looks I couldn't help but admire. I love the natural charisma exuded by Judi Dench and the subtle glamour of Susan Sarandon and Merryl Streep. These spectacular women are simply head-turners and I wouldn't give credit on their vitality and beauty to botox or any kind of surgery. I am sure they take anti-ageing pre-cautions but in a legit way like staying out of the sun, drinking litres of water, speaking with demeanor, exercising with or without a PT, eating organic, and lots of beauty sleep. I suppose we non-celebs could use some or all of the advice but good genes play an important part too, so does presenting themselves in the best way possible, walking tall with confidence and wearing the right colour, be proud of their unique style, and donning age-appropriate clothings certainly contribute to their stardom presences.

Image result for images of women who embrace ageing

Rather than obsessing about living up to a Hollywood image, I do embrace ageing as a matter of reality. I don't make my age a secret and would appreciate respect from others for my decades of life experiences, being smart and sassy, having a quick mind and knowledgeable enough to engage in different topics of meaningful conversations. I like to see myself ageing with beauty and panache, and Coco Chanel is my icon of what a woman should be like as she gets older by the day. (I highly recommend reading her biography!)

Image result for images of coco chanel in her 70's

Unfortunately the fashion industry fails us big time by churning out new and latest outfits suitable for 'children' and size 0 female. I remember shopping at Marks & Spencer 15 years ago in Hong Kong just because the local outlets didn't cater to my size i.e. a size 14! Not much of a shopper anymore after becoming a Personal Stylist myself, I can still hear women over 40, generation X and boomers, screaming out their needs which they rightly deserve:

Image result for images of women over 40Image result for images of women over 40

We want sleeves!
We want variations in hemlines. Mini are for kids!
We want bigger sizes.
We want something new and exciting! Why are the younger ones having all the fun?
We want comfortable but stylish shoes.
We want lingerie that covers our bumps!

Image result for images of women over 40 who are spending

The demographic has changed dramatically and the marketers would better keep up as we are the majority of consumers with money to spend. Never mind that as there are always places where we can find our treasures, classic or not, at a fraction of the retail price: charity / second hand shops. Pop-ups are everywhere these days stocking pre-loved, investment pieces which don't break the bank. Splurging on one of a kind garments is definitely the trend I can see in the years to come as women my age are stepping up, getting bold, and embracing ageing with STYLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment