8/16/2017

Physical confidence... anyone?

This is probably the second time in years when I missed a blog post. I wasn't in the mood for it as my lips were badly swollen up due to the adverse effect of tapering down steroid and my body chemistry was simply in chaos. Anyway, I have now reluctantly increased the dosage and I can at least eat and chew properly without the burning sensation. So, to make up for last week, I am going to have a 2 part essay for you. The first (which is this post) is about outer confidence and yes, the one in the coming week is all about inner confidence. Hope you enjoy reading them.

-----------------

I am 48 and to be honest, I have a difficult time embracing my distorted body and blemished face. It takes me years (and I am still working on it) to accept my ageing appearance in the name of the passage of time and let it be as it is. I have no intention whatsoever to go under the knife, or to wear makeup for coverage. Grooming and looking decent are the keys. Yet I do spend quite a bit on quality skin care products which are necessary for eczema and that's about it. I have a disproportionate huge waist / belly due to the long term intake of steroid (truncal obesity in medical term) and yet nothing can be done to solve the problem as long as I am on medication. I decide to own my space and walk tall and be confident nevertheless. Come to think about it, nothing in the market can ever make us thin enough, pretty enough, and looking young enough.  The idea of 'turning back the clock' is absolutely ridiculous as there is the implication that we are not good enough to start with. No amount of magic potion advertised is going to stop us from ageing, a reality which isn't music to our ears but a harsh fact of life.

Image result for images of advertising targeting women

That said, we do have a choice as to how we present ourselves to the world. Physical appearance is important to a certain degree (and not completely vanity) as it gives us a level of confidence when we look into the mirror wearing a smile, feeling comfortable in our own skin. I always feel so much better after visiting my hair stylist. I have just purchased an pretty expensive pot of eye cream to reduce the puffiness. I get to decide how I wish to look without anyone's approval. I am trying to make peace with my ageing body and face. I want to live mindfully, and it is best to leave the past and embrace the present, making the best with what I have now.

Image result for images of women of physical confidence

Women should be confident in who they are without exception. I have always been a vintage junkie because of its uniqueness and timeless style. The vintage style suits me and I feel amazing wearing them. Statement  accessories are my weakness but they do help completing an outfit big time. I must admit It takes quite a bit of courage and confidence to stand away from the fashion crowd. Knowing your colours and body shape are the pre-requisites of appearing confident so dress according to your preference and not the latest trend and fads. Your clothes have the ability to raise your energy or make you look washed out. What we wear day in and day out affects how we feel and look, how we relate to others and what we attract into our lives (the psychology of colours!). 

Image result for images of how clothing affects your confidenceImage result for images of how clothing affects your confidenceImage result for images of how clothing affects your confidence

No wedges for me thank you. I am more inclined to wear flatform or chunky heels which give me a confident stride.Tripping over a pair of stilettos wouldn't quite make the cut, would it?

---------------------------------------------------------

Part 2 is due to release next wed 8/23.





No comments:

Post a Comment